[Nix-dev] Re: new possible movement to git (?)

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Tue Aug 30 16:39:40 CEST 2011

Hi Shea,

 > I don't think this accurately reflects the reasons we use
 > stdenv-updates. We don't put it all in the same branch because more
 > fine-grained branching is expensive, we put it all in the same branch
 > because we want the eventual merge of the changes to happen at the
 > same time.

exactly who is "we"? Please speak for yourself. I, for one, do not want
unrelated changes to be merged in one commit, because that habit breaks
extremely useful tools such as "git bisect".

Besides, having many different stdenv/* topic branches does not imply
that each of them must be merged into master separately. You *can* merge
them all at once, of course, if you want to. It just so happens that I
wouldn't want to do that because the practice violates elementary
principles software engineering.

Take care,
Peter