[Nix-dev] Re: new possible movement to git (?)

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 14:46:23 CEST 2011

Hi Michael,

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 13:36, Michael Raskin <7c6f434c at mail.ru> wrote:
> With SVN I can easily look up which commits were initially done in
> stdenv branch and which were done in trunk. Ditto with Mercurial. But
> with git you seem to need some extra knowledge to do that after the
> proposed move.

I agree, but only If you use rebase.  git rebase is nice for local
branches, but is a nightmare when you are working a large number of
persons.

In git cherry-picks are not tracking the patch history.  Thus you
cannot rely on cherry-pick with git as you do with subversion.

The other mean is to use merges, which keep the history as it is.
Thus you can see that this was a previous branch which has been merged
into the master (trunk)

Changing VCS also implies to change the workflow which is based on it.
 Having used git / hg / svn, I really love to be able to seek the
history very fast, which is really slow in hg and svn.

--
Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron - http://nbp.name/