[Nix-dev] Re: new possible movement to git (?)

Shea Levy shea at shealevy.com
Fri Aug 26 11:51:24 CEST 2011

On 08/26/2011 12:28 AM, Rok Garbas wrote:
> On 24/08/11 23:02, Shea Levy wrote:
>> It has been over a year since this discussion and I have not seen any
>> move toward implementing the suggestions in the thread. If this is
>> simply due to inertia, I would like to offer up help similar to what
>> Marc Weber offers in his initial email (migrating scripts, providing
>> advice to users, etc.). If it is because the NixOS community is
>> undecided as to which vcs to switch to, perhaps we should have a
>> discussion about how to fairly discuss and decide such things?
> i think its one of those things nobody wants take over them since - as
> usually is - migration svn-to-git is usually pain or at least time
> consuming.
>
> i'm just finishing fairly large migration (3 separate svn-repos, ~300k
> commits, first commit dates to 2004, not to mention all "svn cp" that
> happened over time, kde's svn2git is used) and i could use this
> experience (writing complex svn2git rules) and migrate nixos svn
> repository to more github repos (i assume you want to split some things out)
>
> i would suggest that if there is interest that "we" just do migration -
> it might not even be that painful - then it would be easier to make
> decision since keeping this up-to-date is a matter of few extra cpu
> cycles per hour.
>
> garbas on freenode, in case you would be interested in my help. what i
> would need to get started is **idea what should go where** and somebody
> giving me instructions.
>
> see you on irc...
>

> lp rok

 From my thinking, the process would be cleanest if it took the
following steps:

1. All the projects which contain references to the svn repos get
updated to point to where the new git repos will be
2. The svn repo is rendered read-only or all committers have their write
access revoked
3. Git repos are generated from the svn repos (each of the
https://svn.nixos.org/repos/nix/*) using one of the many available tools
for the purpose
4. The newly-generated git repos are put in the locations specified in
step 1.

Anyone can perform steps 1 and 3, while steps 2 and 4 require some sort
of administrative access to complete, but are fairly straightforward in
and of themselves. If we can get agreement about where the git repos
should go, I'll be happy to perform steps 1 and 3 (and 4, if we decide
to host the git repos somewhere public or on my servers for some reason)
myself, but without agreement on step 1 any effort on this will just be
wasted since everything will still default to the svn.nixos.org repos.

I'm a bit tempted to just say "If I get no objections by two weeks from
now, I'll update the svn to point to a github repo until someone can set
the repos up on the nixos servers", but I don't know whether the policy
for a change this big is "if nothing is said, do it" or "if nothing is
said, don't do it".

~Shea