[Nix-dev] new possible movement to git (?)

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 10:31:06 CEST 2011

Hi,

I just want to add one more point in favor to git. (compared to svn)
The history does not have to be clone entirely if you want to checkout
the HEAD / a branch / a tag.  Nix-prefect-git (already used by Hydra
and Nixpkgs) is able to do a minimal checkout.

For the notice, I also have git clones of configurations, nixpkgs and
nixos repository on my server where I push branches corresponding to
the states of my computers.

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 23:02, Shea Levy <shea at shealevy.com> wrote:
> It has been over a year since this discussion and I have not seen any move
> toward implementing the suggestions in the thread. If this is simply due to
> inertia, I would like to offer up help similar to what Marc Weber offers in
> his initial email (migrating scripts, providing advice to users, etc.). If
> it is because the NixOS community is undecided as to which vcs to switch to,
> perhaps we should have a discussion about how to fairly discuss and decide
> such things?
>>
>> Finally Eelco Dolstra replied to my question about introducing a
>> official git mirror. I replied on irc so maybe his opinion can still
>> change. Still I want to tell you about the small conversation:
>>
>>   12:39<  MarcWeber>  Eelco Dolstra: I'm still missing a reply. You didn't
>>   tell us how you think about introducing an official git mirror for nixos
>>   which can be used for preparing and sharing patches easier. I'd like to
>>   know whether you are willing to provide a small account on one of the
>>   nix* servers which runs a cron job once a day fetching from svn and
>>   pusnhing to either github or gitorious. The scripts are ready.
>>
>>   15:53<  Eelco Dolstra>  MarcWeber: I'm currently more inclined to
>>   converting to git than to setting up svn<->git mirrors
>>
>> I would support this change this means:
>> - I'll try to help each Nix(OS) user who has trouble with git to get
>>   started.
>> - I'll help rewriting existing scripts - if there is need to do so.
>>

>> If you want this to happen sooner I urge you to vote for this in this
>> thread - I know that a lot of Nix(OS) users already have private git
>> clones - including me.
>>
>> I still see the value of SVN checkouts - less size on disk - so maybe
>> maintaining a svn mirror (for stable branch only?) is a good choice?
>>
>> At this point I want to remind that github has a SVN interface for git
>> repositories! Thus you can use git - but SVN users can still use SVN if
>> they prefer. I haven't tested it yet - though.
>>
>> Eelco Dolstra: Thanks for taking the time to reply. Let me know if I can
>> support you in any way, please.
>>
>> Marc Weber

Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron - http://nbp.name/