[Nix-dev] Bootstrap Tool Storage

Shea Levy shea at shealevy.com
Wed Aug 24 23:39:32 CEST 2011

As far as I know, and with the notable exception of stdenv's gcc,
nixpkgs uses non-nix specific bootstrap tools to for all packages that
need them (e.g. ghc binaries, gentoo's gnatboot for gnat, the
proprietary Oracale jdk for openjdk). It is often desirable, however, to
create our own bootstrap tools. For example, our currently-packaged
gnatboot fails at building gnat46, and therefore gnat46 uses gnat45 as a
bootstrap, requiring a two-stage bootstrap if gnat45 isn't available by
substitution. In such cases, is there a good place to store bootstrap
tarballs? Or should each maintainer use his own space somewhere?

~Shea