Solved: Re: [Nix-dev] Nix on ubuntu 11.04

Marco Maggesi maggesi at math.unifi.it
Wed Aug 17 17:42:11 CEST 2011

On Aug 17, 2011, at 2:24 PM, Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 03:45:36PM +0400, Michael Raskin wrote:
>>> I tried nix version 0.16, first with the deb package then I compiled the sources myself.
>>> I would like to try the svn trunk version of nix but I get the following compile error during the installation:
>>>
>>> make[3]: Entering directory `/home/maggesi/nix/src/libexpr'
>>> false -v -o parser-tab.cc ./parser.y -d
>>> make[3]: *** [parser-tab.hh] Error 1
>>
>> You need to have flex and bison installed for parser regeneration
>
> The source tarball does not require bison/flex, but the svn trunk does. And
> Eelco made the trick of getting 'false' instead of 'bison', for the source
> tarball not to require bison.
>
> iirc.

Finally I was able to build and install the trunk version of nix.

I installed flex and bison (and perhaps other things that I can't remember now) and I run trough
make distclean
./configure
make

The build process seems to do most of the work.
I still have an error when the build process generates the documentation:

make[3]: Entering directory `/home/maggesi/nix/doc/manual'
/usr/bin/xmllint  --noout --nonet --xinclude --noxincludenode --relaxng /docbook-rng-missing/docbook.rng manual.xml
warning: failed to load external entity "/docbook-rng-missing/docbook.rng"
Relax-NG parser error : xmlRelaxNGParse: could not load /docbook-rng-missing/docbook.rng
Relax-NG schema /docbook-rng-missing/docbook.rng failed to compile
make[3]: *** [manual.is-valid] Error 5

I suppose that this depends on some missing packages but I'm not able to guess which one specifically is needed here. (I tried to install blindly several things related to docbook and the like but nothing work.)

Anyway I suppose that the build process did enough to produce a working executable so I did

sudo make install

then I used nix-env to install nix.
Now everything seems to work perfectly.
Thanks,