[Nix-dev] Patching uname in stdenv?

Shea Levy shea at shealevy.com
Wed Aug 17 17:00:47 CEST 2011

On 08/17/2011 05:46 AM, Eelco Dolstra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 08/17/2011 05:03 AM, shea at shealevy.com wrote:
>
>> What would people think of a patch that made stdenv's uname return the
>> same value on every linux?
>
> I assume you're referring to the kernel version returned by ‘uname -r’.

Actually, I'm not sure why we shouldn't just keep everything in uname -a
fixed (if we can localize the patched uname to builds). Any build system
that does depend on that info should depend on it explicitly, so in the
long term it's probably a good thing if some builds were to fail with
such a patch since it would help us better identify dependencies.