[Nix-dev] Patching uname in stdenv?

shea at shealevy.com shea at shealevy.com
Wed Aug 17 05:03:53 CEST 2011

Hi all,

What would people think of a patch that made stdenv's uname return the
same value on every linux? I've only just had the idea and haven't had
time to think through the possible downsides, but my initial thought is
that most packages shouldn't need to know the kernel version, and that
those that have a reason to (e.g. packages that provide kernel modules)
should be dependent on the kernel passed to the nix expression, rather
than whatever the kernel happens to be in memory at a given time. Or am I
wrong? Is there a reason a build should depend on which version of the
kernel is currently in use?

Cheers,
Shea