[Nix-dev] Rev. 27611 (applyGlobalOverrides)

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Mon Aug 15 21:56:39 CEST 2011

Hi,

On 08/15/2011 09:52 PM, Yury G. Kudryashov wrote:

> I've used applyGlobalOverrides in kde4x for the following reason.

‘applyGlobalOverrides’ shouldn't be used in Nixpkgs because it's very
slow.  I spent some time a while back getting rid of the calls to
applyGlobalOverrides, which gave a significant improvement in "nix-env
-qa" performance.

> Some parts of the official KDE releases depend on external packages (e.g.,
> libktorrent, kdevplatform). Now kde47.kdenetwork will use libktorrent built
> against kdelibs-4.5.
>
> We have two solutions.
>   * applyGlobalOverrides;
>   * manually override quite a few packages in 'callPackage kde4x' call.

Other solution: move them into KDE, or do something similar to
‘linuxPackagesFor’ (i.e. move KDE-dependent packages into a function
that takes KDE as an argument).