[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r28415 - nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs/applications/virtualization/virtualbox/guest-additions

Marco Maggesi maggesi at math.unifi.it
Thu Aug 11 14:59:19 CEST 2011

Hi Rohan,

On Aug 11, 2011, at 1:53 AM, Rohan Hart wrote:

> I've posted about this previously.

I missed your previous post, sorry.

> It turns out that the virtualbox
> builder needs to know the version of the Xorg server used in order to
> install the correct driver .so
>
>   # Install Xorg drivers
>   ensureDir $out/lib/xorg/modules/{drivers,input}
>   install -m 644 lib/VBoxGuestAdditions/vboxvideo_drv_18.so
> $out/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/vboxvideo_drv.so
>   install -m 644 lib/VBoxGuestAdditions/vboxmouse_drv_18.so
> $out/lib/xorg/modules/input/vboxmouse_drv.so
>
> For the current Xorg version 1.9.5 the files to install should be
> vboxvideo_drv_19.so instead.

This indeed fixes the problem with the vboxvideo driver.
It remains the problem of the crash of the daemon.
Also I have the impression that with guest additions installed the guest is much slower than before, especially the graphics.
(My host is a MacBook Pro Core i7, 2.2 GHz).

> In addition the vboxmouse driver isn't added to the generated xorg.conf

Is it actually needed?
I use it without specifying the vboxmouse module and everything seems to work well.
Anyway it should be enough to add the following settings in /etc/nixos/configuration.nix
[not tested]

services.xserver.config = ''
  Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "vboxmouse"
  EndSection
'';

services.xserver.serverLayoutSection = ''
  Identifier "Configured Mouse"
'';

> I'm not sure how to programmatically solve either of these

Xorg 1.9.5 should be the default xserver version in nixos, right?
So it is not essential to programmatically choose between them I think.
So I think we should simply change the suffix _18 with _19 in the build instructions.
I can do this, if nobody objects.

M.