[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r26983 - nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs/applications/networking/mailreaders/notmuch

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Wed Apr 27 14:16:13 CEST 2011

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 11:15:45 +0200, ludo at gnu.org (Ludovic =?iso-8859-1?Q?Court=E8s?=) wrote:
> Hi Florian,
>
> Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net> writes:
>
> > notmuch: -inheritable-tags-hack +atomic-new
>
> [...]
>
> >  stdenv.mkDerivation rec {
> > -  name = "notmuch-0.5-cfl8";
> > +  name = "notmuch-0.5-nixos1";
> >
> >    src = fetchgit {
> >      url = "git://github.com/chaoflow/notmuch";
> > -    rev = "cfl8";
> > -    sha256 = "ee39cd0b48511468f569220909ed46966f10f14ad118f2388843b823712b0333";
> > +    rev = "nixos1";
> > +    sha256 = "979bf154c05b1560ac95ec29c55a221960cba65073fdf5cb1d00312dd9ecfb57";
> >    };
>
> Is there any specific reason for using a Git snapshot?

notmuch's master branch contains many bug fixes and new features beyond
its 0.5 release and can be considered rather stable.

My branch contains (beyond the master branch):
- fix tests to run on nixos
- finestructure/crypto branch (used by many of the developers)
- amdragon/for-review/atomic-new-v2 preventing mails not to be indexed
  and therefore never to show up (also used by many of the developers)
- two new key bindings for the emacs UI

> Packages in Nixpkgs should use a published tarball, so users know what
> version of the package they use, which allows them to provide useful bug
> reports upstream, etc.

I agree, but am involved upstream. However, I definitely should state in
the package's long description what patches I applied and why.

Also, the two new keybindings is my personal preference, which I
probably should not enforce on nixos users without a chance of these
becoming included upstream.

> If you really need the latest & greatest, what about adding a
> ‘notmuchUnstable’ (or similar) derivation alongside the latest stable
> release?

For now I see:

- notmuch (with fixes I think are necessary over the latest release)
- notmuchChaoflow (containing my two keybindings and maybe more things
  in the future)
- notmuchUnstable (future, once the current fixes are included in a
  release)

The current 0.5 I cannot recommend and therefore would not package, at
least not as the default to be installed.

If all notmuch* derivations are named notmuch, how do I control which
one is installed in case of `nix-env -i notmuch`?

If all of them are named differently, how do I mutually exclude them
explicitly or is the collision detection enough?

thanks
florian
--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC