[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r26978 - in nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs/development/libraries/xapian: . bindings

Florian Friesdorf flo at chaoflow.net
Wed Apr 27 13:50:39 CEST 2011

On Wed, 27 Apr 2011 11:18:12 +0200, ludo at gnu.org (Ludovic =?iso-8859-1?Q?Court=E8s?=) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net> writes:
>
> > xapian: gplv2 -> gpl (according to homepage), added myself as maintainer
>
> [...]
>
> >      description = "Bindings for the Xapian library";
> >      homepage = xapian.meta.homepage;
> > -    license = "GPLv2";
> > +    license = "GPL";
>
> “GPL” alone is quite vague.  It’s “version X or later”, or just
> “version X”.  This can be found by checking the source file headers,
> or, if they are lacking, the COPYING file.

The website says "GPL" and links to
http://www.opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php which lists GPLv2 and
GPLv3. The file COPYING contains GPLv2 which states in 9. "If the
Program does not specify a version number of this License, you may
choose any version ever published by the Free Software Foundation."

From that I would take, it really is generic GPL and not limited to a
specific version.

I would check with upstream, if you think its necessary.

Thank you very much for your feedback!
--
Florian Friesdorf <flo at chaoflow.net>
  GPG FPR: 7A13 5EEE 1421 9FC2 108D  BAAF 38F8 99A3 0C45 F083
Jabber/XMPP: flo at chaoflow.net
IRC: chaoflow on freenode,ircnet,blafasel,OFTC