[Nix-dev] Re: What happened to python-wrapper?

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Wed Apr 13 20:31:43 CEST 2011

Hi Eelco,

 >   pythonFull = callPackage ../development/interpreters/python/wrapper.nix {
 >     extraLibs = lib.attrValues python.modules;
 >   };

python-wrapper has a limitation that might be significant for this
expression.

Shell scripts cannot be interpreters for other shell scripts. The
shebang

  #! ${python}/bin/python

works only if ${python}/bin/python is an executable -- which
python-wrapper isn't. Instead, python-wrapper must be called like
this:

  #! ${coreutils}/bin/env ${python}/bin/python

In other words, some of our expressions will break if they're being
passed { python = pythonFull; } for some reason.

I'm not sure whether that's likely to happen, though ...

Take care,
Peter