[Nix-dev] Manual Downloads of Proprietary Software

Shea Levy shea at shealevy.com
Wed Apr 13 20:28:49 CEST 2011

Hi all,

Some software (e.g. Adobe Air) requires that the person installing it
agree to certain terms prior to downloading the file. While in many
(though not all) cases it is possible to simply put the download URL
into a nix expression and have nix download the file automatically, such
circumvention of the terms-and-conditions agreement seems legally shaky
at best. As such, I would like to create a function that looks for a
file on the local filesystem and aborts with a message that the user
must download the file manually before building the derivation (if such
a function already exists, please let me know). My question for the list
is this: How should the function find the file? I can think of three
ways, but I'm not sure which is best: having the user download the file
to a hard-coded location, having the user set an env var with the
location of the file, or having the user nix-store --add the file
manually. Or is there a better solution than any of these?

Cheers,
Shea Levy