[Nix-dev] Minor stdenv down-grade required in trunk

Shea Levy shea at shealevy.com
Fri Apr 1 19:16:17 CEST 2011

Actually, upon reflection I think perhaps this change is necessary. Since the library has the same soname, any affected package must be poorly written so we shouldn't care about them anyway.

Shea Levy <shea at shealevy.com> wrote:

Hi Peter,

This is a change that may affect the stability or compilability of pretty much any package, not to mention requiring a complete system rebuild. Have you done any testing on what kind of affect this will have on the nixpkgs system as a whole?

Cheers,
Shea Levy

Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to> wrote:

Hi guys, I'm about to commit a patch to trunk that downgrades stdenv on Linux from glibc 2.12 to 2.5. That change is required, because all glibc versions after that have a bug that prevents them from being run with kernel 2.4.x, which is the kernel I'm stuck with on my SuSE host system. Updating to Linux 2.6.x is not an option on that machine, I'm afraid, because my floppy disk drive requires some proprietary kernel driver that I can't recompile. Anyway, I reckon many people will have that problem, and I'd like to fix it pro-actively rather than wait for the bug reports to pour in. Does anyone mind that change? Take care, Peter_____________________________________________