[Nix-dev] Building a GNU 0.401 ISO

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Fri Apr 1 13:29:45 CEST 2011

Hello!

GNU 0.401 (aka. GNU/Hurd) was just released [0], along with an ISO based
on Debian GNU/Hurd [1].

I think this new GNU release deserves a NixOS-based distro so I plan to
adapt the ISO image module in NixOS to GNU/Hurd.  Fortunately GNU/Hurd
can already be cross-built from Nixpkgs [2] so it should be easy to
adjust.

Once NixOS GNU/Hurd is stable, I plan to incrementally replace Nix (the
implementation, and then the language) by something based on Guile
Scheme, with full integration in Emacs (M-x rebuild-os, etc.) for free.

Contributions welcome!

Thanks,
Ludo’.

[0] http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/hurd-devel/2011-04/msg00000.html