[Nix-dev] Installing and Using Nix 0.16 on OS X

Alessandro Vermeulen a.vermeulen at students.uu.nl
Sat Oct 30 16:29:06 CEST 2010

I'm trying to use Nix on OS X.

I couldn't get the SVN checkout to bootstrap properly (don't have the log anymore) so I installed using the source tar.

./configure works,

However when I run make I get the following error:
http://gist.github.com/654123

It was suggested in #nixos that I should just install, so that's what I did, now it failed on installing the docs. Nothing strange here since they failed to build. In addition I had to create the /nix directory myself, which I chowned to my user for now.

However, when I try to install ghc-7.0.1-rc1 like this

> nix-channel --add http://nixos.org/releases/nixpkgs/channels/nixpkgs-unstable
> nix-channel --update
> nix-env -i ghc-7.0.1-rc1

I get this error:
> \e[pstripping (with flags -S) in  /nix/store/fsibm4r660pwp0i2x2b7rpzhjcibrdma-perl-5.10.1/lib  /nix/store/fsibm4r660pwp0i2x2b7rpzhjcibrdma-perl-5.10.1/bin
> xargs: illegal option -- r

for more: http://gist.github.com/655344

So it crashes on building perl5. Why does it even need perl?

Regards,
Alessandro