[Nix-dev] Re: [loongson-dev] NixOS for the loongson2f based Lemote Fuloong Mini-PC

Daniel Clark dclark at pobox.com
Mon Oct 25 20:24:41 CEST 2010

2010/9/15 Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viriketo at gmail.com>

> Hello,
>
> the experimental support for the fuloong computer is already in NixOS
> stdenv-updates (the development branch).
>
> Anyone wanting to boot or install NixOS in their Fuloong may find that
> dream
> soon fulfilled.
>
> I added NixOS to the list of distributions here:
> http://www.linux-mips.org/wiki/Distributions#NixOS
>
> Information on how to boot or install NixOS in the fuloong (without some
> nix
> knowledge, many things may not look evident):
> http://wiki.nixos.org/wiki/Multiplatform_NixOS#Fuloong_Mini-PC
>
> Information on NixOS:
> http://nixos.org/nixos
>
> I plan to do further support and be directly involved in the next merge to
> the
> (more) stable branch in nixpgks and nixos.
>
> Thanks to djbclark for providing the hardware, and to r0bertz to provide a
> base
> n32 system (gentoo) to start playing with.
>
> Best regards,
> Lluís.
>
> --

Sweet! I'll need to give this a try ASAP.

I've been waiting for some n32 distro to but on a small (7-computer) fuloong
compile farm with install doc usable by people not expert with the system,
so you may have beaten Gentoo in that regard (I'm hoping lxc -
http://lxc.sourceforge.net/ - will work on loongson2f, so people will be
able to use the build farm with the GNU/Linux distro of their choice,
regardless of what is running on the "bare metal"; I just want the "bare
metal" OS to be optimized to the loongson2f chip to maximize performance.)

If anyone wants to play with the port on a Yeeloong, my company will give
you a discount (probably only useful for those not in China ;-) -- I'd be
interested in making NixOS a preinstall option for yeeloongs we sell (we
don't sell fuloong due to lack of some US FCC certification  and the fact we
aren't yet scaled up enough to do so in enough quantity to make it worth it
to get that certification, but you can buy one if you are in the US from a
non-US company without problems as far as I know - specifically
http://www.tekmote.nl sells them via a web store.)

Also if anyone wants to try getting NixOS to work on more esoteric
loongson2f hardware that is hard to get outside of China, email me off-list
-- specifically IMHO NixOS is really great for servers, so would be
interesting if it could be made to work on the U-NAS II (a very small
loongson2f box with 2 3.5" internal SATA drive bays and 2 eSATA ports, no
video, 2 gigabit ethernet ports, normally boots off of some kind
of internal solid state device, so don't know how easy it would be to get it
to boot anything but the default Chinese-language software, but might be fun
for someone to play with.)

Happy Hacking,
--
        \|/      Daniel JB Clark | Activist; Owner
FREEDOM -+-> INCLUDED ~ http://freedomincluded.com