[Nix-dev] Re: Some missing build-env features

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Mon Oct 11 22:48:44 CEST 2010

Hello!

"Yury G. Kudryashov" <urkud+nix at ya.ru> writes:

> The features I miss in buildEnv.
>
> 1) Currently a runtime dependency must be a build time dependency as well.
> This is bad because there are cycles.

I’m not sure I understand.  What’s the problem you want to solve?

> 2) A package should be able to tell buildEnv to execute some commands after
> symlinking dirs&files. Example: update-mime-info etc.

Yes, though it’s probably not per-package, but rather a set of
user-defined hooks that ‘buildEnv’ would pick & run (the ‘mime-info’
hook, a hook to generate a GNU Info directory, etc.)

> 3) A package should be able to tell buildEnv to skip some directories.
> Various examples are currently hardcoded into build-env script.

Yes.  :-)

Though again, probably not per-package.

> 4) A package should be able to tell buildEnv about required environment
> variables. Examples: KDEDIRS, XDG_*, *_PLUGIN_PATH etc.

Yes.

I may be that there’s room for optimization too: currently ‘buildEnv’ is
very slow, IMO.

Thanks,
Ludo’.