[Nix-dev] Problems with the new nscd

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viriketo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 21:03:51 CEST 2010

Hello,

it looks like the 'nscd' in the latest glibc (that of stdenv-updates, 2.12.1)
needs libgcc_s.so.1 to run. It's a gcc file.

We build glibc before gcc, with the gcc on bootstrap tools. And we don't want
the glibc output to reference the bootstrap tools.

For more fun, libgcc_s.so.1 is dynamically linked with libc.so.6.

As some options I see solving the problem and having a working nscd:
- We write some expression that will build nscd alone with the stdenv gcc, and
  does not depend on the bootstrap-tools gcc. Then, we don't use the nscd in the
  stdenv glibc.
- We copy the libgcc_s.so.1 from bootstrap-tools into the glibc path, and hope
  that it will like the new libc.so.6 there. I don't like this very much.

Any ideas?
I prefer the first option, so I invite Ludovic to write its expression. We can
update later nixos stdenv-updates to use the nscd from the new expression.

As a note aside, I think that the stack-protection patch in glibc is not useful
or needed anymore. I'm testing if I can remove it.

Regards,
Lluís.