[Nix-dev] Personal Channel setup

Iqbal Ahmed huiqbal at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 5 06:51:51 CEST 2010

I am trying to setup my personal channel. The purpose is to have my
binaries/sources served from my personal channel and the other packages
from NIX official channels.
My binaries depends on packages from NIX
official channel. Once my channel is up, I can subscribe to mychannel
and official channel.

Here is what I did to set it up. Installed
nix on my channel server. Downloaded nixpkgs-0.13 from official nix
site. Added my nix expressions to the nixpkgs-0.13/pkgs.

Now Ran,
nix-push
http://user:passed@mychannel.com/channel/nar/
http://mychannel.com/channel/nar/
http://user:passed@mychannel.com/channel/MANIFEST  $(nix-store -r
$(nix-instantiate foo.nix))

Where foo.nix is in nixpkgs-0.13 with content,

with import /apps/nix/nixpkgs-0.13 { system = "x86_64-linux"; };

 {
   inherit packageA packageB packageC packageD;
 }

This
pushes builds and pushes  a number of hash.nar.bz2 to
http://mychannel.com/channel/nar/   and adds
http://mychannel.com/channel/MANIFEST and
http://mychannel.com/channel/MANIFEST.bz2

Then I go to a brand new machine with just nix installed. Tried to subscribe to my personal channel using channel --add.

channel
add command complains "cannot fetch
`http://user:passed@mychannel.com/channel/nixexprs.tar.bz2' at
/usr/local/bin/nix-channel line 114." It looks like nix-push creates
MANIFEST and MANIFEST.bz2 but no nixexprs.tar.bz2.

Is it
possible that nix-push can not push nixexprs.tar.bz2? I tried
compressing nixpkgs-0.13 as nixexprs.tar.bz2 and uploaded it manually
to where MANIFEST file is, now add channel it works and my binaries can
be installed with a simple 'nix-env -i binaryName', which is a desired
functionality.

I just with I don't have to manually push nixexprs.tar.bz2 plus if it can be trimmed just to have my expressions. Any idea?

Regards,

Iqbal.