[Nix-dev] Re: mostly minimal Nixos built using gold ld where possible

Rohan Hart rohan.hart17 at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 17:45:28 CET 2010

Using a very recent build of binutils it is possible to leave
non-gold-using-stdenv untouched while building stdenv, X11, xmonad,
ghc and dependencies with gold.  There's still a lot of packages to
test.  Most particularly I'm not running Gnome or Kde - this is a
works-for-me release.
The non-gold stdenv is still on the latest stable release of binutils.

After applying the attached patch a gold based system can be activated
by adding the following to configuration.nix

nixpkgs.config = {
    binutils.gold = true;
  };

To build with gold when using nix-env add the following to ~/.nixpkgs/config.nix

{
    binutils.gold = true;
}

If someone could configure hydra.nixos.org to build this (assuming
it's not too overloaded) then I can fix any outstanding errors.

cheers
Rohan