[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - r24601 - nixpkgs/trunk/pkgs/tools/misc/screen

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Sun Nov 7 23:43:34 CET 2010

Hello Peter,

Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to> writes:

> Author: simons
> Date: Fri Nov  5 14:35:14 2010
> New Revision: 24601
>
> Log:
> pkgs/tools/misc/screen: fixed various impurities
>
> Removed lots of hard-coded /usr/something paths from the configure script.
> Moved $out/{info,man} to $out/share/{info,man}.

I’d rather not do that (change the info/man dirs) for every single
package out there.

There are two issues here:

  1. How do we like the default values of mandir and infodir, which are
     ${prefix}/share/{info,man}?

     I’m fine with them, and our default $INFOPATH makes the standalone
     info reader happy.

  2. *If* we don’t like them, how should it be changed?

     I’d vote for a global solution in ‘setup.sh’ instead of modifying
     each Nix expression.

What do you think?

In the light of (2), I would prefer reverting these changes.

Thanks,
Ludo’.