[Nix-dev] make -jx within builds?

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viriketo at gmail.com
Sat May 29 14:32:11 CEST 2010

On Sat, May 29, 2010 at 01:56:36PM +0200, Marc Weber wrote:
> > Seems reasonable to me, as long as we have a mechanism for packages to
> > be able to override it, and specify NUM_CORES=1.
> Eelco Dolstraa proposed yesterday:
> 13:24 < niksnut> "buildInParallel = false;"
>
> So you got the general idea quite well :)
> Passing this should set NUM_CORES to 1.

Not all programs work with 'make' to build, or do not rely on that for the
multitask build.
For example, go_oo or openoffice use another way. When I have to test their
builds, I always enable the multiprocess build, which works perfect. Maybe we
want to have something overridable enough, so the openoffice expressions can
take advantage of that NUM_CORES.

For my side... I never felt the big need of multicore builds in nixpkgs;
whenever I'm testing the build for a big program in a multicore machine, I edit
the expression temporarily to get that advantage.

Regards,
Lluís.