[Nix-dev] Suspend in KDE broken

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Thu May 20 15:13:57 CEST 2010

On 20 May 2010 13:03, Eelco Dolstra <e.dolstra at tudelft.nl> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 05/20/2010 01:56 PM, Tony White wrote:
>
>> http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/PolicyKit/tools-fileformats.html
>> And it's called PolicyKit this week :)
>> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PolicyKit
>> polkit should go or be renamed. It is confusing.
>
> Right :-)
>
>> According to this thread :
>> http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=18837&sid=201c14dea4d0e73f6e084170607986e3&start=10
>>
>> It looks like two things are required :
>> The user account to be a member of the "power" User group (Because
>> that's what the hardware abstraction layer looks for.)
>> uswsusp (It's user land tools) Must be available in the user's
>> environment to interact with the kernel in order to make it suspend :
>> http://suspend.sourceforge.net/
>> (The nix KDE 4.x desktop expression should take uswsusp as a depend.)
>
> I don't think that's the case for us.  HAL does the suspend on behalf of KDE by
> calling pm-suspend.  HAL asks PolicyKit whether the calling user is allowed to
> suspend, which is in turn determined by its policy files.  The policy should say
> that the "active" user (as determined by ConsoleKit) is allowed to suspend.  It
> did in the polkit configuration, but we probably lack the corresponding
> PolicyKit configuration.
>
> (To be clear: suspend worked in KDE until a few days ago.)
>
> --
> Eelco Dolstra | http://www.st.ewi.tudelft.nl/~dolstra/

Hi Eelco,
OK. It has never worked once for me but it's a while since I re-based,
due patches for the xorg intel 855gm only just starting to come
through which work, so I wasn't aware that suspend ever worked.

So they have changed the name again to the same name as some other
software which has that same name and forked themselves. Again.
Great...
polkit should be lib-polkit or lib-polkit1 or some thing else to avoid
confusion with PolicyKit and the polkit on Google code, if it is not
the same as PolicyKit but I believe it is. It's had so many different
names now it is getting silly.

With package descriptions like this :

Name       : polkit
Arch       : i686
Version    : 0.95
Release    : 0.git20090913.3.fc12
Size       : 552 k
Repo       : installed
>From repo  : rawhide
Summary    : PolicyKit Authorization Framework
URL        : http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PolicyKit
License    : LGPLv2+
           : It is used for allowing unprivileged processes to speak
to privileged
           : processes.

polkit equals PolicyKit.

man pklocalauthority
to read how it sets policy, lists relevant files but it looks like
Yury thinks he might know what to do. :)

Thanks,
Tony