[Nix-dev] Suspend in KDE broken

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Thu May 20 14:03:07 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 05/20/2010 01:56 PM, Tony White wrote:

> http://hal.freedesktop.org/docs/PolicyKit/tools-fileformats.html
> And it's called PolicyKit this week :)
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PolicyKit
> polkit should go or be renamed. It is confusing.

Right :-)

> According to this thread :
> http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=18837&sid=201c14dea4d0e73f6e084170607986e3&start=10
>
> It looks like two things are required :
> The user account to be a member of the "power" User group (Because
> that's what the hardware abstraction layer looks for.)
> uswsusp (It's user land tools) Must be available in the user's
> environment to interact with the kernel in order to make it suspend :
> http://suspend.sourceforge.net/
> (The nix KDE 4.x desktop expression should take uswsusp as a depend.)

I don't think that's the case for us.  HAL does the suspend on behalf of KDE by
calling pm-suspend.  HAL asks PolicyKit whether the calling user is allowed to
suspend, which is in turn determined by its policy files.  The policy should say
that the "active" user (as determined by ConsoleKit) is allowed to suspend.  It
did in the polkit configuration, but we probably lack the corresponding
PolicyKit configuration.

(To be clear: suspend worked in KDE until a few days ago.)