[Nix-dev] proprietary ati drivers

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Mon May 17 15:45:45 CEST 2010

ATI drivers do work fine on current NIXOS.

http://mawercer.de/~marc/GLXGears.jpg

However there are some glitches:
ati drivers provides its own libglx.so shared file which loads ./lib/dri/fglrx_dri.so.

By default the location of *_dri.so files is hardcoded in xorg server.
nixpkgs has patched xorg to allow overriding this PATH using XORG_DRI_DRIVER_PATH.

So for now I had to add the impure paths:

/usr/lib/fglrx_dri.so

To do so I added /usr.nix:
===

let pkgs = import /etc/nixos/nixpkgs/default.nix {};
in {
        collection = pkgs.misc.collection {
      name = "ati-drivers-test";
      list = [
        pkgs.linuxPackages_2_6_32.ati_drivers_x11 # must be before
xorgserver because of conflicts
        pkgs.xorg.libXext
];
};
}

===

which installs the ati drivers and libXext into /usr.
Then you can even run blender if you add LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib.

The question I have now: How to proceed? Ask ATI devs whether they add
XORG_DRI_DRIVER_PATH to their driver as well?

Also they ship libGL.so. Does this differ from mesa?
Which one is used by applications then?
nvidia ships with libGL.so as well so I think that's fine?

Is someone else interested in testing before I commit?

Marc Weber