[Nix-dev] making nix-collect-garbage faster?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sat May 15 18:28:24 CEST 2010

Would it make nix-collect-garbage faster when store paths were not
deleted but moved to a garbage directory instead?

Eg mv /nix/stoer/xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-foo /nix/store/garbage

Then when everything was moved there the lock could be released and rm
-fr /nix/store/garbage could be run with low priority.

This would minimize the impact of running nix-collect-garbage to the
user and other nix-* operations.

What do you think about this idea?

Somhow my older system stops when unpacking a directory.So I'd like to
run nix-store --verify --check-contents on a cleaned store.
I'm still waiting.

Marc Weber