[Nix-dev] virtualbox VBoxService/modules

Sander van der Burg - EWI S.vanderBurg at tudelft.nl
Mon May 10 16:49:51 CEST 2010

> I couldn't find anything that started the service.
It is started because a VBoxService.desktop is in the Autostart/ folder of one of the folders in XDG_DATA_DIRS

> It does
> things like enable time synchronization with the host.  It's important
> to disable ntp, and use this, especially when running virtualbox on a
> machine that can suspend.
Ok I see :-) . I didn't know about the time synchronization issue. This is indeed an issue that we have and this will probably fix it.

> My configuration changes probably aren't right, but something like
> them is needed to start the service properly.
Indeed, we need a properly coded NixOS module for this, with some configuration options. I'll have a look into getting this supported. Maybe I can get more stuff supported such as setting the proper X video driver and automatically include the desktop stuff if KDE is used.