[Nix-dev] configuration management question

germsteel germsteel at gmail.com
Sat Jul 31 06:44:48 CEST 2010

Here's my dream: drive on machine fails, install os on new drive, feed it
some "magical" config file and
boom everything is working like before but even better.  Am I dreaming or
could nixos do this?

Specifically, if you had perfectly configured samba is there some way to
have nixos save that configuration information and "apply" it back on top of
the new system.  I am NOT talking about restoring a backup or image.  I want
a NEW OS and software (samba for example) with my old settings -- is this
even possible?

I checked out Puppet; seems very promising but complex and samba support is
still preliminary.