[Nix-dev] Re: Libre Software Meeting talk about NixOS

Ludovic Courtès ludo at gnu.org
Sat Jul 10 16:01:52 CEST 2010

Hello,

Evgeny Egorochkin <phreedom.stdin at gmail.com> writes:

> On Saturday 10 July 2010 00:35:59 Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>> The provocative title produced the desired effect.  ;-)  People seemed
>> quite impressed by the features.  Some suggested they’d rather wait
>> until these features would be merged in an “existing distro”.
>
> Yeah, as if any existing distro ever managed to introduce any significant
> changes.

Well, there’s Mancoosi, a European project which, among other things,
intends to retrofit transactional upgrades and rollback in an existing
distro (Debian IIRC):

  http://www.mancoosi.org/

I’m skeptical about the feasibility of such a thing, though.

And then there are other Nix/NixOS features that would still be lacking,
such as the power of purely functional builds and deployments that we’ve
got used to.

Thanks,
Ludo’.