[Nix-dev] Stuck on "Install NixOS on Linode" - bootstrap archives download

Daniel Clark dclark at pobox.com
Thu Jul 1 19:55:00 CEST 2010

2010/7/1 Lluís Batlle i Rossell <viriketo at gmail.com>:
> On Thu, Jul 01, 2010 at 01:32:57PM -0400, Daniel Clark wrote:
>> I'm following / updating http://wiki.nixos.org/wiki/Install_NixOS_on_Linode
>>
>> The current doc says "The bootstrap archives can be downloaded from
>> minimal_install_archive [1]", however so far I haven't been able to
>> actually find a root tarball downloadable under that URL. I'm probably
>> just being blind; if someone can provide the exact URL to a known-good
>> "minimal install archive" I'd appreciate it (and update the doc
>> accordingly).
> Instead of a root tarball, you will find a NAR archive. You will need nix to
> install that into your nix store, that must sit in /nix.
>
> If some can tell the mechanisms to put the tarballs downloadable in hydra, I can try to
> make them available. I guess some special files in a special directory of the
> output store path would do the trick for hydra to show a download link.
>
> (I'll investigate a bit)
>
> Regards,
> Lluís.

Ah, so I need to bootstrap nix packages (but not nixos) locally before
bootstrapping nixos remotely. I usually work from a mipsel box, but I
can go install nix packages on some other colo server running
non-nixos GNU/Linux on x86_64 :-)

--
        \|/      Daniel JB Clark | Activist; Owner
FREEDOM -+-> INCLUDED ~ http://freedomincluded.com