Re: [Nix-dev] Merging ‘stdenv-updates’ on Jan. 20th

Lluís Batlle viriketo at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 12:30:14 CET 2010

2010/1/18 Eelco Dolstra <e.dolstra at tudelft.nl>:
> Hi,
>
> Ludovic Courtès wrote:
>
>> After discussion with the guilty parties on #nixos, we agreed on merging
>> ‘stdenv-updates’ into ‘trunk’ next week, hopefully by Wednesday 20th.
>
> Can somebody summarise the changes in the stdenv branch?  In particular the
> cross-compilation stuff, since that seems a potentially disruptive (i.e.
> cross-cutting) change.
I will try to add some I was involved with.
- Made the stdenv used in nixpkgs be able to cross-compile programs,
according to an attribute set defining the target platform it should
be compiling to. "cross-compile ready expressions" will distinguish
between buildInputs and buildNativeInputs. The cross-compiling stuff
is not as flexible as it could easily be, and now work only linux
targets with either glibc or uclibc. Nevertheless, most of the
flexibility should not cause a rebuild of stdenv for native
compilations. The compiler and libc expressions synthesize all the
build flows for a native or a cross-compiler, so we have kept in mind
not to duplicate code.
- Made the gcc-wrappers handle Ada and Vhdl (for gcc-gnat and ghdl respectively)
- Added a pure stdenvLinux for armv5tel-linux, and fixed enough
nixpkgs expressions to get nixos running in the sheevaplug (mldonkey
works, apache works, php + gd works, openssh and ftp work, ...).
- Fixed the gcc-wrappers to allow precompiling headers and linking
directly mentioning shared object files.

Do I forget something important?

Regards,
Lluís.