[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - 19980 - viric -nix/branches

Nicolas Pierron nicolas.b.pierron at gmail.com
Sun Feb 14 23:58:51 CET 2010

2010/2/14 Sander van der Burg - EWI <S.vanderBurg at tudelft.nl>:
> So, what are you guys going to do? Implementing a clean room implementation
> of ATerm with the same interfaces or forking ATerm? And if so, why should
> this ATerm version developed inside the Nix repository?

Nix does not need ATerm, Nix need maximal sharing to implements
maximal laziness.  The garbage collection is almost useless because
all terms are kept alive in the ATermMap which is used to cache reduce
operations.  So the garbage collection is just a way to lose some
evaluation time.

Some manipulations are done to convert data to structure which are
easy to manipulate and to structure which are easy to store.  These
conversions are costly, why don't we just use one data format?

What I want to do is to keep the minimal amount of features required
by Nix to optimize the code in consequence.  For sure optimizing it
will break the ATerm API.

And as I've experienced a lot of difficulties to debug the ATerm
library (due to all the crap that you don't want to understand).  We
don't have access to their repository.  We don't see them interacting
with the code.  I never got answer from their issue tracker.  We can't
follow the last version.  We need a patch to make it works.  They
depends on the assembly language.  The library is not thread safe.

So I consider it as a dead dependency which is not well suited for our
usage.  If I succeed to make it as I think of it, I will probably take
it out of Nix to use it in my work place too.

Nicolas Pierron
http://www.linkedin.com/in/nicolasbpierron - http://nbp.name/
Lars Rasmussen (Google IO 2009) - Icland is an icland.