[Nix-dev] stdenv-updates merged

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viriketo at gmail.com
Tue Dec 28 22:38:32 CET 2010

Hello,

Eelco pushed the red button on merging the nixpkgs branch stdenv-updates into
trunk. Those following nixpkgs-trunk (or the nixpkgs unstable channel) will
notice. I did the same for nixos-stdenv-updates, merging into nixos-trunk.

So, those who followed stdenv-updates for their systems to be on the crest of
the wave, they can move their working directories to the peaceful trunk.

Starting to summarize the changes now, I can recall of:
- New pieces in stdenv (gcc, glibc, ...)
- Correct gcc wrappers (no more "stdenv2")
- glibc should handle better the locales, related to the path of the
  LOCALE_ARCHIVE. Even commands like 'locale' should work. And if they don't, we
  have always a place for them in the new stdenv-updates branch.
- Nixpkgs pure stdenv for the Fuloong MiniPC mips n32 system, the second non-PC
  NixOS architecture after the Sheevaplug. This involved making some changes to fit
  those both and keep the PCs, the systems with impure stdenv, ...
  Here is when the only nixos-stdenv-updates difference comes into play, with
  users of non-PC having to set a nixpkgs.config option setting the "platform"
  they use.
- Improvements on cross-building to linux some packages. For example, with these
  nixpkgs I could manage to prepare a full working system for the Ben Nanonote
  (and the qemu mips malta board):
  http://vicerveza.homeunix.net/~viric/cgi-bin/nanonixos
  I also had cross-built the bootstrap-tools for the Fuloong MiniPC to start its
  pure nixpkgs stdenv.
- System tarballs for the Fuloong MiniPC and the Sheevaplug

Sure there are other changes, but I did not do an investigation on what changed
there. If anyone recalls, please reply to this letter.

Thank you to all the people involved in making stdenv-updates work for all of us
to enjoy it!

Best regards,
Lluís.