[Nix-dev] duplicated builds

maggesi at math.unifi.it maggesi at math.unifi.it
Fri Dec 10 09:16:22 CET 2010

Hi,

I do not understand exactly how hydra jobs are generated.

In particular, I inadvertently generated a duplicated set of jobs for
ocaml, i.e.,
http://hydra.nixos.org/job/nixpkgs/trunk/ocaml_3_11_1
http://hydra.nixos.org/job/nixpkgs/trunk/ocamlPackages.ocaml

I assume that this not good.

I understand that this comes from the fact that I inherit ocaml in
mkOcamlPackages in all-packages.nix, i.e.,

  ocamlPackages = recurseIntoAttrs ocamlPackages_3_11_1;
  ocamlPackages_3_11_1 = mkOcamlPackages ocaml_3_11_1
pkgs.ocamlPackages_3_11_1;
  mkOcamlPackages = ocaml: self: let callPackage = newScope self; in rec {
     inherit ocaml;
  }

What I don't understand is:

1. why the same thing doesn't happen for say emacs/emacsPackages which
uses the same style?  I would expect to find two jobs, one called
"emacs" and one called "emacs23Packages.emacs", but as far as I can
see there is only one the job "emacs".

2. with the same logic, there should be other ocaml jobs, e,g.,
ocamlPackages_3_11_1.ocaml
ocaml
but the former do not exists and the latter exists but seems to be
something unrelated.

Can you clarify this?
Thanks.
M.