[Nix-dev] Re: Is Emacs 22 still needed?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Sat Aug 28 02:50:31 CEST 2010

> Emacs 22 is not needed by me.
>
> The emacs question prompted some more thoughts ...

Basically you're asking for the true svn dev style:
have trunk and stable "releases".

Maintaining a release - what does this mean?
a) keep source available so that you can rebuild everything
b) keep binary snapshots? (optional)
c) update source locations if they change (optional)
d) follow Nix language updates ?

d) is important if you want to install packages from older imaginary
releases along with current software in /etc/nixos/configuration.nix

That's only a list which came to my mind what "maintaining" could mean.
I think keeping source snapshots would be most important - cause they
are causing most trouble when git bisecting issues - at least they did
fo rme.

The style of development which was used in the past was:
Major updates go into stdenv-updates. That is merged into trunk
occasionally. If you forked a release before merging you had what you
are asking for.

Marc Weber