[Nix-dev] Re: Is Emacs 22 still needed?

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Thu Aug 26 20:37:58 CEST 2010

Hi Ludovic,

 > Someone could need it, e.g., because of some incompatibility or
 > because some Emacs mode hasn’t been upgraded to 23. That’s arguably
 > becoming less and less likely, but who knows.

sure, that is true. I guess there is a trade-off involved here. It's
nice to have old versions of popular packages around in Nixpkgs, yet
there seems to be little point in doing that unless someone is actually
using those old versions. Nixpkgs itself does not refer to Emacs 22
anywhere, i.e. our configuration doesn't depend on it at all.

Of course, this doesn't imply that Emacs 22 unused. It's possible that
people have patched/forked/overridden the setup to go back to the old
version for some reason.

Still, it doesn't seem likely, because Emacs 23 has been out and stable
for quite some time now.

 > I don’t use 22 but I wonder to what extent keeping it is a burden.
 > What do you think?

I see no point in keeping it around unless someone actually needs it.
Personally, I'd like to delete the old version to simply our package
database. I don't feel strongly about it, but, still, I felt compelled
to ask.

Take care,
Peter