[Nix-dev] Re: DVCS - what we care about?

me22 me22.ca at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 18:18:40 CEST 2010

On 13 August 2010 02:44, Yury G. Kudryashov <urkud+nix at ya.ru> wrote:

> Suppose that you have two branches, "master" and "stdenv". As usual, you
> merge master->stdenv every day or two and you merge stdenv->master every
> month or two. Then it is not possible to search for commits that first
> appeared in stdenv.

Who is "you" in this example?  It it possible to talk about "the"
stdenv branch in a DVCS?  What happens if the commit first appeared in
the third branch, and was merged into master and stdenv separately,
which were then merged?

I don't know how even as a human I'd decide what came from where in a
history like this:

    a   b   c
     \ / \ /
      d   e