[Nix-dev] Re: DVCS - what we care about?

Yury G. Kudryashov urkud+nix at ya.ru
Fri Aug 13 15:55:59 CEST 2010

Peter Simons wrote:

> Hi Yury,
>
>  > I don't say "git throws away history" but let me give you example of
>  > lost information.
>  >
>  commit 370df5eca753a02788bfc99707322b6f0655f1a2
>  Author: Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to>
>  Date:   Fri Aug 13 15:13:51 2010 +0200
>
>      initial
>
>  Notes:
>      Committed to ref: refs/heads/master
The problem is that git log cannot search using notes.

git log --grep=refs/heads gives nothing
>  >>> Never ever rebase a published branch.
>  >>
>  >> Frankly, if I had an interest in snappy one-liners, I'd be watching
>  >> an Arnold Schwarzenegger movie instead of discussing software
>  >> engineering.
>  >
>  > man git-rebase
>  > /RECOVERING FROM UPSTREAM REBASE
>  > (second match)
>
> The manual pages discusses how to handle branches that prefer rebase
> over merge. The mere fact that this section exists should be a strong
> indication that people *do* rebase published branches.
The first sentence of this section clearly states that this is a bad idea,
and one of the reasons is that git-rebase just tries to apply your patches
while git-merge is much more clever wrt already applied patches etc.