[Nix-dev] Re: DVCS - what we care about?

Marc Weber marco-oweber at gmx.de
Fri Aug 13 14:48:25 CEST 2010

Excerpts from Yury G. Kudryashov's message of Fri Aug 13 11:44:05 +0200 2010:
> Peter Simons wrote:
>
> > Hi Michael,
> >
> >  > If you look at it as a history storage tool, deliberate throwing away
> >  > of branch history seems enough of a deficiency.

It could be emulated by forcing users to add top-level "BRANCH" file
containing the branch name. Using hooks it can be verified that the file
contents are the same as the branch name when pushing to the server.
However querying the info is not as convinient as native support in
monotone.

Eg git show HASH:BRANCH # shows contents of that file at revision HASH

Thus you get the branch name, if soemone added the file in the past.

If this was the only problem we could ask the git mailinglist to add
this feature natively. Shouldn't be too hard to extend git to recond the
branch name.

Marc Weber