[Nix-dev] Re: DVCS - what we care about?

Yury G. Kudryashov urkud+nix at ya.ru
Fri Aug 13 11:44:05 CEST 2010

Peter Simons wrote:

> Hi Michael,
>
>  > If you look at it as a history storage tool, deliberate throwing away
>  > of branch history seems enough of a deficiency.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean. On what occasion does Git throw away history?
Michael means that git has no "branch" concept, only "branch head" concept.

Suppose that you have two branches, "master" and "stdenv". As usual, you
merge master->stdenv every day or two and you merge stdenv->master every
month or two. Then it is not possible to search for commits that first
appeared in stdenv.