[Nix-dev] DVCS usecases

Yury G. Kudryashov urkud+nix at ya.ru
Thu Aug 12 16:51:43 CEST 2010

Hi!

Michael wrote a message about some general DVCS (mis)features. I prefer to
be more concrete.

I propose to list some concrete usecases and ask users of git/mtn whether
their dvcs has these features.

As git is the only DVCS I used, I will list some features that are important
for me. Michael, could you please answer is there any easy way to do it with
monotone? If one needs just 1-2 lines to do it, could you please provide
these commands? I'm nearly sure that monotone can most/all of this things
but I prefer to be sure ;)

Anybody, let us know your favorite features/usecases, please.

1. Possibility to work on many branches using one checkout.

2. git diff features

a. --ignore-all-space/--ignore-space-at-eol/--ignore-space-change

I find the first command very usefull. Haven't really used the second and
third form.

b. --stat/--numstat - diffstat instead of patch

c. --color-words <-- like wdiff

d. compare filtered content instead of original files (usefull for binary
files; I'm not sure that we need this feature)

3. git submodules (similar to svn externals). Again, I don't know whether
Nix needs this.

4. When did this line came to this file/this repo (no matter which branch)?

May be I'll add more usecases later.