[Nix-dev] kde/phonon vs qt/phonon

Yury G. Kudryashov urkud+nix at ya.ru
Wed Aug 11 19:55:43 CEST 2010

Hi!

If you don't use KDE/Qt4, just ignore this message ;)

I'm packaging kde-4.5.0/qt-4.7.0-beta and I have a problem with phonon (the
KDE multimedia library). There are two versions of phonon: one in qt sources
(src/3rdparty/phonon), and another one is "upstream".

In qt-4.6.x we compiled qt without phonon, and used "upstream" (=KDE)
phonon. The problem is that qtwebkit uses phonon for HTML5 video tag.

I see three solutions:

1. Use phonon distributed with Qt. I use this solution at the moment but I
don't like it because nobody in Nokia works on phonon, they just take a
snapshot. Hence we will have "old stable" version instead of "latest
stable".

2. Use upstreamm Phonon, and split qtwebkit out of qt. In this case qtwebkit
will be installed outside of $qt, and we will have some problems while
compiling KDE. I'm not ready to work out all these problems alone. If
someone wants upstream phonon, we can try to look at this solution.

3. *Ugly hack*. Include upstream phonon into Qt build.
 a) build&install Qt into $qt;
 b) build&install phonon into $qt;
 c) build&install qtwebkit $qt;
 - all in one nixexpr. I don't like this solution.