[Nix-dev] An interview to the fossil creator about fossil

Lluís Batlle i Rossell viriketo at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 10:42:57 CEST 2010

On Sun, Aug 08, 2010 at 12:30:09PM +0400, Michael Raskin wrote:
> Frankly, looking at our JIRA usage (it offers a lot; do we use it
> much?), I start doubting your claims. Maybe tags are enough for us.
I never could file a bug. I always got permission denied. :)
And for yellowgrass, we also don't use it much and it does not provide very
fancy features either.
I think that the bug tracking in fossil provides much more than we need, and
very comfortable.

> > Basically it's all about devising a storage format that's dvcs-friendly and
> > making a web interface for it...
>
> There is no such thing as a format that is dvcs-friendly, because things
> that can be automated with issue tracking merge are not expressible in
> the DVCS terms. I don't know, when merging two forks of the same issue,
> severity can be assumed to be maximum of two branches.
In fossil, the issue tracker is not versioned. It simply uses hashes for tickets
and comments instead of sequential numbers, so they don't collide when
pushing/pulling. That's all.
I find that quite good, and this approach is what Richard values over bug
tracking using normal version-controlled files.