[Nix-dev] An interview to the fossil creator about fossil

Evgeny Egorochkin phreedom.stdin at gmail.com
Sat Aug 7 20:06:25 CEST 2010

On Saturday 07 August 2010 14:49:13 Michael Raskin wrote:
> On 08/07/2010 01:56 AM, Lluís Batlle i Rossell wrote:
> > On IRC #nixos we talked about fossil, so here you have an interview to
> > its creator about it:
> > http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/2010/07/bsdtalk194-fossil-scm-with-d-richard.
> > html
> >
> > He explains it comparing to other systems.
>
> The fun thing is that he says very little about pure SCM side comparison
> (he talks more about a full-package vs SCM); and doesn't even mention
> standalone wiki-over-DVCS/bug-tracking-over-DVCS solutions.

One thing that seems to be missing is an ability to add references between
projects, I mean if you have repo1 for project1 and repo2 for project2 that
are related(nix, nixos, nixpkgs, hydra, disnix come to mind) you'll often have
bug reports that refer to other bugs or commits in different projects etc. Of
course, you can use http links but then it ceases to be distributed... the
more and the smaller sub-projects you have, the faster it happens.

In theory of course it's a really great idea and you could use the bug/issue
tracker to replace mailing lists as well, turning ML threads into bug
squashing, idea discussions, patch reviews etc with better tracking(eg you can
easily see all unanswered questions, unreviewed patch proposals etc)

To me it seems like a very good solution for small projects(just like success
stories on the site say).

For more complex cases, and especially distributed cases, I'm pretty sure
there will be issues like:
 - people filing bug reports against your branch/fork, which actually belong to
the project as whole or your branch-specific bug reports spilling into the main
project.
 - misplaced wiki edits along the same lines

Not that it can't be worked out but at least the gui to resolve this is
missing(that's what the site says)...
--
Evgeny