[Nix-dev] stdenv rebuild warning

Eelco Dolstra e.dolstra at tudelft.nl
Thu Aug 5 17:31:48 CEST 2010

Hi,

On 08/05/2010 05:16 PM, Marc Weber wrote:

> Excerpts from Peter Simons's message of Thu Aug 05 12:19:48 +0200 2010:
>> on Friday, August 6th I'll commit two small patches to 'trunk' that modify
>> pkgs/stdenv/generic/setup.sh (see <87wrs8vuoh.fsf at write-only.cryp.to> for
>> further details). The effect is going to be a re-build of all packages that
>> depends on stdenv, which is pretty much everything. If you'd like to avoid
>> doing that re-build, you might want to wait a day before updating your
>> installation to make sure that Hydra is finished re-building the binary
>> packages. Or, to put it differently, if you have urgent updates to perform
>> on your system, it might be a good idea to do them now.
>
> My two cents: This means collaboration is dead.

No it isn't.  Peter announced a change in advance, giving other people a change
to respond.  So do you object to merging the parallel build stuff?  (I think it
should go in - the question is just whether to do it separately or as part of a
merge of the stdenv branch.)

> So I ask everybody to stop complaining about it :-(

I'm not entirely sure what "it" is, but quite a few of the complaints about the
development process seem to come from you...