[Nix-dev] Re: Nix 0.13pre17232 doesn't work on i386-apple-darwin9.7.0

Lluís Batlle viriketo at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 10:24:57 CEST 2009

2009/9/30, Peter Simons <simons at cryp.to>:
> Hi Lluís,
>

>  >> While bootstrapping the store on MacOS X, however, I had the
>  >> impression that the MacOS store collides with store paths from Linux
>  >> (and thus cannot be shared). Is that possible?
>  >
>  > I think it could happen, if using a not pure nixpkgs in both systems.
I consider nixpkgs 'unpure' if you use a stdenv that uses
out-of-the-store commands. That is, 'stdenvNative' or 'stdenvNix'. On
the other hand, for example, stdenvLinux depends only on store paths,
and any store path is built without anything outside of store paths.
That means having a special 'bootstrap' process, which starts with the
first precompiled files (curl, bzip2, tar, ..) coming from the nixpkgs
tree (pkgs/stdenv/linux/bootstrap/*), and some precompiled build
programs out of the tree (gcc, glibc, ...).

Look at pkgs/stdenv/default.nix to see the table between 'systems' and
'stdenvs'. Darwin uses stdenvNative, so, what I name "an unpure
nixpkgs", where store paths are built using non-store-path build
tools.