[Nix-dev] Re: [Nix-commits] SVN commit: nix - 17460 - viric - in nixos/trunk/modules: . config installer installer/generations-dir installer/grub system/activation

Tony White tonywhite100 at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 28 19:22:56 CEST 2009

2009/9/28 Ludovic Courtès <ludo at gnu.org>:
> Hi!
>
> Eelco Dolstra <e.dolstra at tudelft.nl>
> writes:
>
>> Do you have experience with GRUB 2?  How well does it work nowadays?  Is it
>> already usable for NixOS?
>
> It works for Debian now, so I suppose it would work for NixOS too.  ;-)
>
> And it supports more file systems, several platforms, and fancy things
> all around.
>
> Surely we should give it a spin.
>
> Thanks,
> Ludo’.

Hi all,
A big yes please for grub2 here; it supports more bios' than grub
legacy (Newer bios' versions,) is actively developed while grub legacy
is not and has much nicer configuration syntax in it's .conf file.
I believe also that ubuntu & debian are both switching to grub2.
Ubuntu when they make their next releases and some future release in
debian's case (It has moved into sid as default now.)

Thanks,
Tony