[Nix-dev] Re: Revision 17458: symlink duplicate git executables

Peter Simons simons at cryp.to
Mon Sep 28 16:03:35 CEST 2009

Hi Eelco,

 > By default, Git installs a bunch of aliases in $out/bin and
 > $out/libexec/git-core using hard links, but the fixupPhase destroys
 > that by stripping each file, causing them to be duplicated.

I reckon that this problem is not specific to Git? The fixup phase will
cause that problem in all packages that use hardlinks to make one binary
available under several different names. Instead of adding that
complicated shell code to the Git expression, wouldn't it be better to
fix the stripping mechanism so that it doesn't cause unnecessary
duplication of files?

Take care,
Peter